Monday, January 31, 2011

Cranberry and White Chocolate Rice Krispies Squares

My husband looked at me in disbelief as I met him at the checkout with my Rice Krispies in hand. Not only were they on sale, but they were also the solution to my quandary regarding the bag of tiny marshmallows sitting in my pantry since the holidays. I never did get around to making the Quebeçois version of fudge, the melt in your mouth "sucre à la crème". 
To redeem myself, I decided to add a few ingredients to the original recipe on the box. Sure enough, just adding some dried cranberries and white chocolate chips made these the ideal adult treat for the kid in me.

Ingredients:
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
5 cups small marshmallows or 40 regular marshmallows 
1 teaspoon vanilla


Method:

Add the cereal, cranberries and white chocolate chips into a large bowl.

In a large micro-wave bowl, add the marshmallows and butter. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. The package suggests that you stir the mixture after two minutes. Stir in the vanilla at the end of the cooking time. 


I ended using less than the suggested marshmallows ( I guess some "mice" got into the bag,.....funny but I have the same problem with white chocolate reserved for baking, yet the other food is pretty safe)...... the recipe turned out just fine.

Pour the mixture into the large bowl containing the cereal mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
Transfer to a 9"x13" buttered rectangular pan and pat down evenly with your hands or a wooden spoon. I find putting a small amount of butter on the palm of your hands works really well, as it prevent them from sticking when patting down the mixture. Cut into squares and serve.

8 comments:

  1. I think you just solved my problem of the bag of tiny marshmallows in my pantry since Christmas! So pretty and easy and would make the "college kids" very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun! I love white chocolate in, well, pretty much anything. The cranberries add a fun colorful touch too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didn't know any better, I would think these are the perfect little Christmas treats. So colorful, festive, and yummy!
    BTW-I have an award for you to claim. Stop by my blog, and find your name on the list. All you have to do is to copy, and paste, and pay it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look completely fantastic. The combination of cranberries and white chocolate sounds excellent, and I am a sucker for anything that bears any similarity to rice crispie treats :) Think I will be making a batch of these for valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia,
    I'm so glad that I could be of some help. I'm sure your boys will make these disappear in no time at all.

    A Busy Nest,
    Thanks,I'm a big white chocolate fan too. The cranberries also add a healthy touch to these treats.

    Elisabeth,
    The award was such a lovely surprise, thanks so much for the recognition.

    Eva,
    Eva, thanks for your comment. Aren't they just perfect....so easy and no baking involved?

    Gen, I'm so glad I've tempted you with these treats. Perfect recipe for a busy mommy....no baking involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cranberries and white chocolate is such a great combination, yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, I think we have the same "mice" or mice trouble :) These most definitely bring rice krispies squares to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete